POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Games programmers : Re: Games programmers Server Time
10 Oct 2024 19:21:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Games programmers
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 12 Sep 2008 14:01:53
Message: <48caae91$1@news.povray.org>
Gail wrote:

> How often does a C/C++ programmer really need a function pointer?

Hopefully very rarely...

>> Which one is FALSE? Is that 0 or 1? I know it's one or the other, but
>> I can never ever remember which - and it's kind of important!
>
> 0. Any other value is true.

I remember that 0 is one thing and everything else is the opposite. But
I can never remember which is which.

>> What insane nutcase thought that making assignment an expression as a
>> good idea? Seriously, WTF? That's excellent. So if I say "if (x =
>> 5)..." then my program will silently fail to work correctly, and I'll
>> probably spend hours if not days trying to figure out why.
>
> Most compilers will warn about that these days.
> It's the same in Java, the same in C#

In Java, unless x happens to be a bool, you'll get a compile-time error.
In C it's a perfectly valid construct.

>> Pointers in general usually result in disaster. I constantly get the
>> syntax wrong for pointer types, pointer dereferencing, and pointer
>> creation.
>
> So don't use them. As Warp and others have shown, it's not necessary in
> any way to use pointers.

It is in C. If you want printf() to print a string for you, you must
pass a pointer to a string.

Maybe this is one of the things they actually fixed in C++...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/