POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Games programmers : Re: Games programmers Server Time
10 Oct 2024 13:12:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Games programmers
From: Slime
Date: 11 Sep 2008 23:38:38
Message: <48c9e43e$1@news.povray.org>
> Manual memory management?

Less necessary in C++ than in C, with all the container STL libraries
around. When you do need it, I find new and delete to be more intuitive than
malloc and free.

> Pointers vs references?

References are easier than pointers and there's not too much to learn to use
them. C only has pointers.

> Copy constructors and assignment constructors?

These can be difficult. They do mirror concepts used in C though.

> The macro preprocessor?

I think that's more of a C thing than a C++ thing, though it's available in
both.

> Method overrides that don't actually override unless you insert special
> code?

I'm with Warp on this one: what?

> Templates?

They can cause some difficulties. But they can make your life a lot easier
too (STL again).

> Untrapped numeric overflows?

I think C and C++ both have this property. In practice you barely ever have
to worry about it.

> Unchecked array indicies?

Also a C and C++ thing. If you want your array indices checked, and you're
using the std::vector class, you can use the vector.at(index) function. (In
practice though, I usually just add my own asserts.)

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]