POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Re: stochastic (monte-carlo) tracing : Re: stochastic (monte-carlo) tracing Server Time
7 Sep 2024 01:19:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: stochastic (monte-carlo) tracing
From: Ray Bellis
Date: 11 Sep 2008 17:28:39
Message: <48c98d87@news.povray.org>
> I think Off-topic is the best place. If you mean this news server.
> (You can answer to this post and the follow-up will be posted in the
> correct group.)
>
> I have also done my own renderer:
>
> http://www.saunalahti.fi/~sevesalm/ssRay.html
>
> Still a lot of work to be done...

Yes - yours was the inspiration for my work.

So far mine only does spheres and planes, though.

However I've abstracted out a lot of stuff so that new shading algorithms
can be implemented as a standalone Java class.

Hence I have standard "Refract" and "Reflect" shaders, but two versions of
"Diffuse" - one that does standard light source tracing and shadow
detection, and a Monte-Carlo one which fires off rays in random directions,
hopefully hitting other objects.  These shaders are hence a little bit like
Renderman shaders.

It's also fully multithreaded :).  Bizarrely the JRE on MacOSX seems
*really* fast compared to other O/S.  On my MacBook Pro with a Core2Duo I
get better performance than on my 3.0 GHz Core2Quad XP machine, and only
slightly worse performance than on the 16 core Opteron server at work.

For anti-aliasing I do multiple passes, just throwing rays in at completely
random coordinates.

cheers,

Ray