POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Games programmers : Re: Games programmers Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:21:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Games programmers
From: stbenge
Date: 9 Sep 2008 16:06:58
Message: <48c6d762@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> So I gather we have some of these in here somewhere?

I dabble. I've worked out the timing issues, which is a big step, but I
still haven't released a full-featured game because DirectX looks
different depending on the hardware used to view it.

> If there's this many people wanting to get in, it must be pretty
> competetive.

It's bad enough wanting to do graphics for a living. There are plenty of
people clamoring for what few jobs there are... Fortunately, many of
those loud people aren't very good at their jobs ;)

About games programming. If you really want to do something, do it alone
and in your spare time. Come up with something special, and you might
become another success story like the developers of Cave Story, Crayon
Physics, Fez... some of these guys have won large cash prizes for simply
being good at what they do in their spare time. Companies are contacting
*them*, not the other way around.

BTW, Fez looks like a game I might actually buy. Cool-looking stuff...

Sam