POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Games programmers : Re: Games programmers Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:21:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Games programmers
From: scott
Date: 9 Sep 2008 15:07:40
Message: <48c6c97c$1@news.povray.org>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't game engines "usually" use an invisible
> skeleton rather than the actual visible polygon mesh for collision
> detection purposes? (Precisely to simplify the problem and make it
> tractable in realtime.)

No, you're completely correct, in fact I'm already doing that in my game.
The problem I have now is that because my physics loop runs at 100 Hz and
some objects are moving quite quickly (like a metre per physics step) it's
hard to determine exactly where the collision took place, and hence
calculate the correct impulse to stop them intersecting at the next step.  I
don't have enough CPU cycles spare to roll back the simulation with a finer
time step, so I'm just using some hackery to estimate it for now.  It works
ok most of the time, and things bounce and spin off nicely in 3D, but
occasionally one object visibly goes inside another for a bit.  I'm sure
with a bit more hackery I can make it more robust without having to do more
physics steps.  Then I need to optimise the collision *detection*, as it
gets a bit slow when 10 or so objects are colliding simultaneously.