POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Games programmers : Re: Games programmers Server Time
7 Sep 2024 01:21:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Games programmers
From: Jim Holsenback
Date: 9 Sep 2008 04:45:07
Message: <48c63793@news.povray.org>
news:48c63073$1@news.povray.org...
> So I gather we have some of these in here somewhere?
>
> Of course "games programming" sounds fun and exciting, and from what I can
> gather *everybody* wants to be doing it. But what is it *really* like, and
> what kind of thing do developers really look for when hiring?

They are really pushing games programming here. They've even started a
course in the high school's here. The part that bugs me is that it's called
Information Technology around here. I keep trying to coin a new term
(Entertainment Technology) but it hasn't taken hold. I guess that's the "old
school" in me that see's Information Technology in a more traditional sense.

> And presumably being hyper-fluent in C and/or C++ is an absolute mandatory
> requirement. Both of these things pretty much instantly rule me out
> completely...)

You should see the looks I get when I say that I'm fluent in fortran, ada,
and pascal, so I guess you're right about that!

Cheers Jim