POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Oddworld : Re: Oddworld Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:23:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Oddworld
From: Invisible
Date: 8 Sep 2008 07:38:08
Message: <48c50ea0@news.povray.org>
Phil Cook wrote:

> Heh a PS port to a PC how rare is that?

I... I have no idea... I don't know what games exist for PS. (Or for PC,
actually.)

>> I spent an hour or so completing one of those puzzles, and then the
>> game crashed. I was NOT happy! In all, the game seems a little bit
>> glitchy.
>
> Haven't had it crash*, more robust with fixed hardware obviously, but I
> know that frustration to get across a level only to be gunned down by a
> squig on a platform in the background; though it is fun to possess them
> and run them off high ledges.

I just like making them shoot each other and stuff. Because I'm like
that... (And also shooting their slogs. Heh.)

> Trouble is for me I think of it as a pre-cog game, you have to know
> what's on the other side of the flick screen before you enter it.

Yeah, that can be annoying. (Usually the fireflies warn you - but not
always.)

> seriously though I bet that opening
> sequence put of so many people - run, run, now jump up, oops too late
> you ran into the wall/ oops too soon you didn't catch the ledge/ oops
> you didn't pull yourself up in time. ;-)

Not sure which part you mean.

The paramite's nest is fun though. It's basically an assult course -
with flesh-eating paramites! And they're all spaced so that you have
enough time to out-run them. (But only just!) Took me a while to
complete that, but it was fun.

(Well, except for the controls. Arrow keys to move, shift to run, space
to jump... and ENTER to roll??)

>> My sound card probably doesn't help. It's an expensive low-latency
>> model. But it also takes a split second to initialise before it will
>> play any sound. And Oddessy seems to initialise it only when it wants
>> to play some sound. This generally results in most of the sound not
>> playing. (Windoze has the same issue.)
>
> Probably a bit of legacy PS coding, how do you cope with the whistle
> codes then?

If there's some background music playing it's fine. It's only when *all*
sound stops that it deallocates the sound hardware. Silly really...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/