POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Linux & drivers : Re: Linux & drivers Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:23:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linux & drivers
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 5 Sep 2008 18:41:08
Message: <48c1b584$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 18:49:25 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

>>> My understanding is that Linux and NTFS still aren't the best of
>>> friends.
>>
>> ntfs-3g solves those issues.
>
> Several programs claim to "solve" these issues - with varying degrees of
> safety warnings. ;-)
>
> (There are kernel NTFS drivers, there's a gizmo that loads NTFS.SYS from
> your Windoze partition and uses that, there are read-only NTFS drivers,
> and so on and so forth.)

ntfs-3g is what uses ntfs.sys - and that one is very stable and usable.
I don't know that it comes with a bunch of warnings, but of course using
closed code with Linux is going to get people to give "warnings" about
the difficulty in solving problems should they arise.

But there's *always* risk to using ntfs.sys even with Windows - things
can go wrong even in a native Windows environment.

Either that, or I imagined the gradual corruption on a coworkers machine
a few weeks ago. :-)

Jim

Jim