POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Linux & drivers : Re: Linux & drivers Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:21:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linux & drivers
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 5 Sep 2008 16:58:51
Message: <48c19d8b$1@news.povray.org>
>> I've never dug enough into it, but I've always been interested in what
>> calls the MBR has to make to load sectors and what not.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INT_13#INT_13h_AH.3D02h:_Read_Sectors_From_Drive

Well, yeah, those are the BIOS calls to read sectors from a disk while
in real mode. But then, once you've grabbed enough blocks from disk in
real mode *then* you can worry about entering protected mode and
initialising a real filesystem driver, etc.

BTW, I believe Grub supports booting *any* OS that complies with a set
of simple guidelines. It isn't just limited to booting Linux. (Although
it won't boot Windoze - but it can call the Windoze bootloader
automatically.)

And yes, *I* wish I had more time...!

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/