POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Coolest thing EVER! : Re: Coolest thing EVER! Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:21:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Coolest thing EVER!
From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 5 Sep 2008 16:27:57
Message: <48c1964d$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Eero Ahonen wrote:
>> I disagree, since the situation has been what Andrew mentioned for at
>> least a year.
>
> Yeah, cause like nothing has changed in the last year, since they
> modified Xen to run other operating systems.

It was 'bout a year ago, when I raised Xen to operate 3 Linux-servers at
work. Back then it would've been possible to run unmodified guests if
the hw would've supported hvm (the "old" DL380G4 I was using didn't, but
it ain't a problem, since running Linux's on it is enough for us.

And yes, as someone (Andrew?) had said, dom0 (privileged OS) needs to be
aware of Xen and Linux is one of possibilities (IIRC some BSD's can do
this also). But if this wasn't the case, there would need to be
hardware-based controlling for the hypervisor, since it has to be
controllable. I'll give a guess: HyperV needs Windows as privileged OS.
I'll also give a question: can HyperV run unmodified guests? I'd guess
yes with hvm, but if someone *knows*, let me also know :).

--
Eero "Aero" Ahonen
    http://www.zbxt.net