POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Linux & drivers : Re: Linux & drivers Server Time
10 Oct 2024 01:38:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linux & drivers
From: Invisible
Date: 4 Sep 2008 11:12:18
Message: <48bffad2@news.povray.org>
Tom Austin wrote:

> Many motherboards are using the Marvell IDE controller - which is
> currently not supported by most Linux distributions.
>
> So while it starts booting fine, when it hands off to the kernel
> everything comes to a screeching halt because it cannot find the CD.

Interesting...

My motherboard uses the nVidia nForce 4 chipset, and as a result many
Linux live CDs can't see any of the SATA drives. However, they all find
the PATA ones just fine.

(I remember seeing "Marvell" and thinking "oo, that's what I have". But
it isn't. I have a Marvell NIC. The IDE controller is nVidia.)

I discovered that many if not most live CDs can be coaxed into seeing
the drives by manually executing a modprobe command. (No, I have no idea
which one... and it wouldn't help you anyway.)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/