POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : XPSP3 : Re: XPSP3 Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:25:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: XPSP3
From: Jim Holsenback
Date: 4 Sep 2008 10:01:08
Message: <48bfea24@news.povray.org>
"St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote in message news:48bf0168$1@news.povray.org...
> Someone posted a complaint about this update recently, and I can't find
> it.
>
> What was wrong with it?
>
> I've had the update sitting in my tray for the last 5 or 6 days now, but I
> feel uncomfortable with it sitting there - like it's watching me...
> <shudder>
>
>    ~Steve~

SP3 was a problem for me. I intermittently had log in problems after
applying. The box for typing password couldn't be selected. Ctrl Alt Del
twice brought up the Windows NT style login and I was able to get in that
way. It also busted a MMC snap-in for DiskKeeper. After three days off and
on with windows support I decided to uninstall. I had only one minor problem
..... it didn't back pedal my MMC version it just uninstalled it. In order
to get my DiskKeeper working again I had to reinstall the correct (for me)
version of MMC. With Windows support I went through the process of stopping
all but seven essential services. They wanted me to narrow it down further
but I declined as I didn't think that I was my job to troubleshoot their
problem. I mean come on .... SP3 caused my problem and it was one (or more)
of seven services that manifested the condition. I still check monthly for
updates, but review and only apply the ones I need.

BTW: my system has been solid as a rock for over a month now.

Jim