POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Coolest thing EVER! : Re: Coolest thing EVER! Server Time
10 Oct 2024 06:28:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Coolest thing EVER!
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 3 Sep 2008 17:01:51
Message: <48befb3f$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 18:50:34 -0300, Nicolas Alvarez wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Nope.  I started running VMware back at version 2.x (now on version 6),
>> hardware at that time didn't have any concept of virtualization.  The
>> separation was all done in software (and very well isolated as well -
>> can't think of any time where the guest took the host down when the
>> host was clean).
>
> Many security researchers intentionally run malicious and quite
> dangerous software inside a VM, so it better have good isolation :)

Oh, absolutely, I don't dispute that.  I have done that type of work
myself.  It is possible to "break out" of a VMware jail (at least without
VT, and some say even with VT it can be done because of the host/guest
interfaces that VMware makes available), but you've got to write
specifically to it.

Jim