POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Data recovery : Re: Data recovery Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:25:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Data recovery
From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 3 Sep 2008 14:13:35
Message: <48bed3cf$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:

> Well he got a newer motherboard where the chipset throws in a RAID
> function just for fun (this seems to be very common now), and had the
> exact same problem. (Despite it being an unrelated machine with
> unrelated drives.)

Weird. Do the mobo and the card share the same chipset?

> That's true. Although I've never yet had occasion to need to format
> multiple drives in the same day. ;-)

Oooh, you're just so young.

> This is where the system my dad had failed; it would randomly drop
> drives for no apparent reason. Once he turned RAID off completely, all
> the drives worked just fine. Go figure.

That's what I figured.

OTOH, did you do any tests on that drive? Or checked S.M.A.R.T. log?

>> Do backups ever seem like gaining a huge amount? Think again. How does
>> external HD differ from LTO-tape in
>> 1) in virus-case, when all online files are compromised or deleted
>> 2) when your running data-disk breaks up
>> 3) when you'll accidentally press "delete"
>> 4) when the flood comes through your roof
>> 5) when some looney robs your laptop
>
> Because the LTO system we have at work involves the tapes being put in a
> fire resistant safe in a remote location. ;-)

That's physical job, which has nothing to say with the type of the
media. Even if it had, it would rule out case number 4.

> Obviously, a home user
> with an external HD isn't going to do this.

And a home user with LTO would? Besides nothing stops you doing it with
external HD at home.

> ...it just means that that problem is dwarfed by all the other ones! :-D

Which isn't equal with the problem being non-existent.

--
Eero "Aero" Ahonen
    http://www.zbxt.net