POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Data recovery : Re: Data recovery Server Time
7 Sep 2024 13:23:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Data recovery
From: Invisible
Date: 3 Sep 2008 11:04:15
Message: <48bea76f$1@news.povray.org>
>> Is that software RAID or hardware RAID?
>
> Software. Real HW-RAID costs incredible amounts of money and software is
> easily trustable enough for home usage.

Well that's what I'd figure...

>> My dad went with a hardware RAID solution, and it was utterly useless.
>> You had to resilver it every few hours because it kept breaking.
>
> It was some random bulk-card and I'd doubt how hardware based it
> actually was.

Well he got a newer motherboard where the chipset throws in a RAID
function just for fun (this seems to be very common now), and had the
exact same problem. (Despite it being an unrelated machine with
unrelated drives.)

>> No matter what size it is, it always takes an extremely long time.
>
> OTOH today you can format multiple drives at once without significant
> loss in time.

That's true. Although I've never yet had occasion to need to format
multiple drives in the same day. ;-)

> Linux keeps the software-RAID-1 block-by-block -identical also - and it
> drops the disk from the array if it can't do that. What it doesn't do is
> dropping the disk from the array if it works, so if you'll get a drop,
> you know you're going to have a need to replace that drive - either
> immediality or really soon.

This is where the system my dad had failed; it would randomly drop
drives for no apparent reason. Once he turned RAID off completely, all
the drives worked just fine. Go figure.

>> Yeah, I guess... Doesn't seem like you're gaining a huge amount, but I
>> guess it's better than nothing.
>
> Do backups ever seem like gaining a huge amount? Think again. How does
> external HD differ from LTO-tape in
> 1) in virus-case, when all online files are compromised or deleted
> 2) when your running data-disk breaks up
> 3) when you'll accidentally press "delete"
> 4) when the flood comes through your roof
> 5) when some looney robs your laptop

Because the LTO system we have at work involves the tapes being put in a
fire resistant safe in a remote location. ;-) Obviously, a home user
with an external HD isn't going to do this.

> And yes, if your house burns down or your roofs gives up and lets the
> water in, you do have a bigger problem than your binary data. But it
> doesn't remove the dataloss being a problem, it just cumulates all other
> problems on top of it.

...it just means that that problem is dwarfed by all the other ones! :-D

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/