POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Data recovery : Re: Data recovery Server Time
7 Sep 2024 13:23:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Data recovery
From: Darren New
Date: 3 Sep 2008 11:02:03
Message: <48bea6eb$1@news.povray.org>
Eero Ahonen wrote:
>> Formatting a huge drive with, say, FAT or NTFS only takes a few
>> minutes, but a low-level format takes an hour or more.
>
> Yes. Formatting to ext3 or XFS takes a moment more, since the system
> also creates journaling ;).

NTFS also creates journaling. The actual difference is that ext2 and
ext3 preallocate all the inodes, while NTFS doesn't.

> What it doesn't do is dropping the disk from the array if it works,

I would have to disagree with you there.

> And yes, if your house burns down or your roofs gives up and lets the
> water in, you do have a bigger problem than your binary data.

I disagree. Fixing your house is just money. Getting back the vacation
photos, or the photos of people who are no longer alive, is much more
difficult.  :-)

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)