POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Data recovery : Re: Data recovery Server Time
7 Sep 2024 13:25:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Data recovery
From: Gail
Date: 2 Sep 2008 04:25:34
Message: <48bcf87e@news.povray.org>
news:48bcf13e$1@news.povray.org...

>>> OOC, what does that actually *do*?
>>
>> It's a glorified web portal with a million addons. There's a lot of
>> demand for it at the moment in SA, so it's mainly there so I can get some
>> feel for how it works.
>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/sharepoint/bb684453.aspx
>
> At one point we were going to use it at work (although nobody I spoke to
> could tell me what it's supposed to do or why we need it or what we would
> use it for beyond "sharing stuff").

It's useful if you have groups of people working on documents. Rather than
sending various versions by mail, you put them into sharepoint. Sharepoint
(even the free version) has versioning and checkout/checkin of documents, as
well as tracking who made what changes and workflow (so the system can mail
someone when a document is uploaded, make a copy somewhere when the document
is 'approved', prevent changes while it's in a certain status, etc)

It's a quick and easy to build intranet portal. No web design/developmetn
skills are required to edit lists in sharepoint, so the secretary can add
news items, calendar entries, announcements and the like