POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Data recovery : Re: Data recovery Server Time
7 Sep 2024 15:22:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Data recovery
From: Gail
Date: 1 Sep 2008 15:34:04
Message: <48bc43ac@news.povray.org>
news:48bc3cbc$1@news.povray.org...
>>> Does anybody actually use RAID on a home system?
>>>

>> Yup. My 'server' has four 160 GB sata drives in a RAID 5 config. Since
>> it's also my first stage backup location, I wanted redundancy. Just wish
>> I'd bought larger drives.
>
> Heh. And I thought *I* was crazy for owning just _one_ 160 GB drive in a
> home PC...
>
> What on earth do you use it for?

Videos
Music
Podcasts
Webcasts
Documents (including large pdfs)
Installation files
Client DB performance data and documents
Backups of data on desktop and laptop
Virtual machine hard drives

It also runs the following:
Active Directory
DNS
SQL Server 2005
Oracle 9i (currently shut down)
Windows Sharepoint (pending reinstallation)
In addition, I'm trying to set up a media service so that the XBox can
stream video and audio from the server.

It's got 480 GB of drive space on the RAID array and it's over half used.
I'll upgrade the drive space sometime, but it's not going to be a simple
operation

My desktop has one 320 GB, one 160 GB and one 80 GB drives.