POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Data recovery : Re: Data recovery Server Time
7 Sep 2024 15:22:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Data recovery
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 1 Sep 2008 15:27:01
Message: <48bc4205$1@news.povray.org>
>> My dad went with a hardware RAID solution, and it was utterly useless.
>> You had to resilver it every few hours because it kept breaking.
>
> Hardware RAID on a desktop machine? Hardware raid controllers are
> exceedingly expensive. Are you sure it wasn't RAID implemented in the
> firmware/drivers?
> That's far more common on desktop-type machines. It's what I've got in
> my 'server'

Didn't require any special drivers for the OS - it just looked like a
regular IDE device. But could quite well be something to do with the

You'll be unsurprised to hear that he quickly threw it away...

I understand that Linux can do software RAID if you have the right
kernel. Some versions of Windows can too - but IIRC not the desktop
editions? It's not something I've ever really looked at. For me, RAID is
something you only need on mission-critical servers, not desktop
machines and certainly not home PCs. ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/