POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Coolest thing EVER! : Re: Coolest thing EVER! Server Time
7 Sep 2024 15:26:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Coolest thing EVER!
From: Gail
Date: 1 Sep 2008 11:37:54
Message: <48bc0c52@news.povray.org>
"Eero Ahonen" <aer### [at] removethiszbxtnetinvalid> wrote in message
but
> depending on DB-size etc the saved cost of another HW can possibly give
> you even better HW for that one machine to have better IOs for the DB,
> it's not purely black and white).

No, it's not.
In my experience though, the majority of DB servers that have bottlenecks
have IO ones, even on physical machines. Virtualising those means needing
separate IO paths, separate physical raid arrays, etc or the virtuals will
compeate with one another for IO. I know that all the SQL MVPs who have
given an opinion on this have recommend not virtualising a production DB,
especially not a large one with lots of activity.
I'd happily virtualise a dev or test environment. Not happy about doing it
to a heavily-utilised prod server though. Not right now.

> Then again, MS surely don't want to support Xen, while they're working on
> HyperV - no wonder SQL Server ain't supported on such competitor-software
> ;).

Well, VMWare's joined the SVVP
(http://www.windowsservercatalog.com/svvp.aspx?svvppage=svvp.htm), so
there'll have to be some level of support. How much remains to be seen.
SQL's not supported at all on existing MS virtualisation products (virtual
server, virtual PC) and it's not currently supported on Hyper-V (which has
been available for a month or so)