POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Coolest thing EVER! : Re: Coolest thing EVER! Server Time
7 Sep 2024 15:23:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Coolest thing EVER!
From: Invisible
Date: 1 Sep 2008 11:22:57
Message: <48bc08d1$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

> How many machine instructions do you think it takes to execute an
> interpreter for a machine instruction?

How about, hmm, "A LOT"?

The IA32 instruction set is a twisted tangle with no reason or rhyme to
it. The op-codes follow no particular pattern. The instruction lengths
very widely. What with MMX, 3D NOW!, SSE, SSE2 and so on, there's dozens
of registers of all different shapes and sizes. And we haven't even
talked about all the emulation required for the I/O devices...

> A hundred maybe, but a million?

Last time I checked, the IA32 instruction set is *very* complex. I doubt
it's got any simpler since then...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/