POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Coolest thing EVER! : Re: Coolest thing EVER! Server Time
7 Sep 2024 13:26:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Coolest thing EVER!
From: Invisible
Date: 1 Sep 2008 06:07:51
Message: <48bbbef7$1@news.povray.org>
>> How exactly does that work? I know how I *thought* it worked, but
>> apparently I'm wrong; I heard one of our head IT guys complaining that
>> we actually have more Server 2003 Enterprise installations running
>> than we're "supposed to".
>
> Licencing's not my specialty. Sounds like you have a certain number of
> licences and you have more servers than that.
> A previous company I worked for had a site-wide licence for certain
> apps. Meant they could install as many as they liked and still paid a
> fixed amount every year (support/upgrade contract). It's expensive for
> smaller companies, but as the number of PCs increase, it becomes more
> reasonable than paying for each one.

Right. Well we definitely have a company-wide license for Windows XP,
Office 2003, and a few other bits. I *thought* we had a company-wide
license for all the products we've licenced, but perhaps not?

> I don't know if it's still an option. As I said, I don't do licencing if
> I can help it.

Amen! But some of us don't have that luxury. :-S

>> "Supported" and "working" aren't the same thing. ;-)
>
> Indeed. The problem with multiple SQL instances in VMs is IO. You can
> allocate CPUs and memory to specific VMs, but there's still a single IO
> channel, and SQL database tend to be IO bound more often than CPU or
> memory.

Yeah, database engines by definition are I/O hungry (and memory hungry
if you want to cache some of that rather than reread it a zillion
times). Depending on what you're doing it can be CPU-heavy too, but
mainly just I/O.

I'm sure it'll *work*, but how fast...? ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/