POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Coolest thing EVER! : Re: Coolest thing EVER! Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:21:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Coolest thing EVER!
From: Gail
Date: 1 Sep 2008 04:49:36
Message: <48bbaca0@news.povray.org>
news:48bba9d8$1@news.povray.org...

> Until yesterday, the only products I'd heard of where Bochs (only runs on
> Linux) and VMware (AFAIK that's extremely expensive).

Mostly, but one of their server products is free now.

> Oh, and doesn't Micro$oft now have some product that's just called
> "virtual server" or something undistinctive? Presumably that's a server
> product that is only available enterprise customers who've signed an
> NDA...

Yes they do, and if you'd read a few lines up you'd  have seen that. It's
free. As in, go and download, no purchases or NDAs necessary.
I don't personally run virtual server, I get by just fine with it's little
brother (Virtual PC), but it's not a server-only app. It does run on XP,
though it's designed more for server-usage.
Then, of course, there's Hyper-V built into Server 2008.