POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Coolest thing EVER! : Re: Coolest thing EVER! Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:24:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Coolest thing EVER!
From: Invisible
Date: 1 Sep 2008 04:06:31
Message: <48bba287@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez wrote:

> VMware, VirtualBox, and VirtualPC are VMs. QEMU is a CPU emulator.

QEMU apparently allows you to emulate different CPUs for that matter...
It appears to have emulation for Motorola 68000 for example.

> Being a VM means they virtualize rather than emulate the CPU, but usually
> not much more. The graphics processor, sound card, network card, etc. are
> still emulated.

To be honest, I'm surprised that QEMU can exist. I would have expected
the emulated CPU to be maybe 1,000,000x slower than the real one, which
would of course be unusably slow. But somehow they've made it not be
that slow - and given it away for free too.

(I am still constantly amazed at the amount of high-quality software you
can pick up for free these days. Emulating an entire IBM PC must surely
be many man-centuries of development work...)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/