POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Coolest thing EVER! : Re: Coolest thing EVER! Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:23:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Coolest thing EVER!
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 31 Aug 2008 21:37:47
Message: <48bb476b@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
>> That's apparently a bad idea. The VM would have different hardware than
>> your real machine.
>
> Oh. I wasn't aware it was an emulator rather than a VM.

VMware, VirtualBox, and VirtualPC are VMs. QEMU is a CPU emulator.

Being a VM means they virtualize rather than emulate the CPU, but usually
not much more. The graphics processor, sound card, network card, etc. are
still emulated (access efficiently forwarded to the real hardware, but the
guest OS still doesn't see the real hardware).

Heck, VMware Workstation even lets you simulate packet loss in the virtual
network cards :)

Same for HD and memory. A tool like CPU-Z wouldn't be able to see the real
manufacturer of the RAM sticks. The RAM in the guest OS is actually a
memory-mapped file in the host OS hard disk. The guest OS hard disk is
usually just a big file too; no way the guest OS can see real SMART data
from the physical disk.