POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Coolest thing EVER! : Re: Coolest thing EVER! Server Time
10 Oct 2024 01:38:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Coolest thing EVER!
From: Gail
Date: 31 Aug 2008 12:55:20
Message: <48baccf8@news.povray.org>
news:48bac671$1@news.povray.org...
> Gail wrote:
>
>> Virtual machines are soooo useful. I've been using them for some time to
>> test out beta software that I don't want breaking my machine, or to try
>> out things that I know are going to break stuff (hence the name of the
>> VPC in the picture)
>
> My PC at work is barely powerful enough to run *one* OS, let alone two. It
> _would_ be quite useful for test purposes though.

That's one of the main reasons I went for a quad core with lots of memory
when I upgraded. So that I could have a couple of virtuals running and still
have the base machine usable.
For example, this afternoon, I was doing performance testing on SQL 2008 on
the base machine while I had a virtual running that was doing a 2005-2008
upgrade

> However, the idea of being able to just plug in a USB stick and click an
> icon and instantly have a complete Linux environment set up exactly the
> way I want it is... pretty neat, actually.

You might have problems with IO speed if you do that. USB is a lot slower
than SATA.