POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Coolest thing EVER! : Re: Coolest thing EVER! Server Time
7 Sep 2024 01:21:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Coolest thing EVER!
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 31 Aug 2008 12:27:29
Message: <48bac671$1@news.povray.org>
Gail wrote:

> Virtual machines are soooo useful. I've been using them for some time to
> test out beta software that I don't want breaking my machine, or to try
> out things that I know are going to break stuff (hence the name of the
> VPC in the picture)

My PC at work is barely powerful enough to run *one* OS, let alone two.
It _would_ be quite useful for test purposes though. (Aside from the
small matter that most of the things I want a test machine for relate to
specific hardware issues, which obviously a virtual machine doesn't help
with...)

However, the idea of being able to just plug in a USB stick and click an
icon and instantly have a complete Linux environment set up exactly the
way I want it is... pretty neat, actually. It's like I can just put my
life on a USB stick, keep it in my pocket, and never again find myself
sat at a PC that lacks a development environment. Haskell EVERYWHERE! >:-D

Only trouble is... it would have to be a pretty damned big USB stick.
DSL is nice, but rather minimal. (Shocker.) KNOPPIX is 700 MB
compressed, and decompresses to something like 4 GB...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/