POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Vista Updates... *sigh* : Re: Vista Updates... *sigh* Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:24:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Vista Updates... *sigh*
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 28 Aug 2008 19:55:32
Message: <48b73af4$1@news.povray.org>
Gilles Tran wrote:
> Really, never understimate people who have no clue when it comes to mess
> with computers. Some time ago, all it took to get a BSOD on my old
> laptop (that had been BSOD-free for years) was a friend of my wife, who
> wanted to chat on Yahoo and somehow managed to plug/unplug the modem at
> exactly the wrong moment. Not that they are guilty, but they do certain
> "dangerous" things that more geeky people wouldn't dare to.

Well, in this case, he would have to mess up the download itself, and
the only possible way is to just shutdown the computer without letting
it finish it's tasks. But my dad doesn't do that, he tells it to
shutdown and then lets it do its job.

> BTW, was your Dad's Vista upgraded to SP1? Certain vendors were still
> selling machines with pre-SP1 Vista and I know from experience that it
> did have issues with automatic upgrades.

Hm, AFAIK, it was already installed, the Laptop is only four weeks old
or so. But I'd have to check.

You'd figure it would be a stupid idea to sell hardware with outdated
software, but then, how long are laptops kept in stock and catching
dust, until they're sold?

I'm just glad it got fixed. Lately, my dad calls me at least twice a day
because of some software he didn't yet install, but needs. I didn't like
Vista that much on first sight, and since my PC is running fine with XP,
I never upgraded - and my laptop is a Mac. So I didn't come to terms
with all the querks and how to tweak it to my liking. Then along comes
dad, with no real clue, and expects me to work some magic. *sigh*

Regards,
Tim