POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Data recovery : Re: Data recovery Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:11:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Data recovery
From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 28 Aug 2008 14:42:03
Message: <48b6f17b$1@news.povray.org>
Phil Cook wrote:

> But I thought the default option on XP was to allow that. Even if she
> had physically removed it the next time it was plugged in it would
> complain and ask if you wanted to run chkdsk.

Allowing it is theoretically possible, yes. If the filesystem is running
synced, you can remove the USB-drive from the computer when there is no
visual indication of usage of the USB-drive (this might be the default
on XP, yes). If the filesystem is not running synced, the devices really
needs to be ejected, since rest of the data will be written at the
eject. Anyway, if you remove the drive from the computer when the
computer is writing on it, you will have at least something corrupted -
no matter if the drive is synced (and you have visual indication on
screen) or not.

In easy language: if there's copying going on oslt, *DO NOT* remove the
drive.

--
Eero "Aero" Ahonen
    http://www.zbxt.net