POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Vista Updates... *sigh* : Re: Vista Updates... *sigh* Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:24:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Vista Updates... *sigh*
From: Invisible
Date: 28 Aug 2008 10:27:18
Message: <48b6b5c6$1@news.povray.org>
>> How different is MacOS? Is it just a typical Unix environment with a
>> different UI shell running on top? Or is it more fundamentally different
>> than that under the hood?
>
>   It is quite different from typical unix systems. For example, it
> implements many file system features (such as metadata) that typical
> unix systems don't have. Also the windowing system is its own entity
> and has nothing to do with unix.

If you look at any typical Unix, you'll see the following things:

- The /dev folder.
- init and getty (and that whole TTY mess).
- Runlevel scripts (written in Bash, obviously).
- at and cron.
- UIDs, GIDs, setuid, setgid, sticky bit and associated chaos.

How much of this sort of thing does MacOS have?

>   Of course the great thing is that you *can* compile and run most unix
> programs in it if you want. IIRC it can even emulate the X windowing system
> so you can run graphical unix programs as well.

Yeah... I recall Haskell doesn't have any bindings for the native UI
yet, so many people on MacOS evidently run X so they can use the
standard X bindings instead...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/