POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Animating characters? : Re: Animating characters? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:24:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Animating characters?
From: Chris B
Date: 28 Aug 2008 03:09:14
Message: <48b64f1a@news.povray.org>
> Most of the "scenes" will be OK with minimal movement; some walking, a few
> waving arms, things like that.  I have some creative license, so I can
> choose
> which ones I want to target, and I'll be focusing on ones that let me
> reuse
> assets (characters and scenery).

Well this does all sound like what POV-Person does, so long as you're not
too fussy about the quality of the anatomical models (built using a
combination of meshes, CSG and Blobs).

It has a crowd generation macro that can generate random people standing
around in the background (it can position them on a surface for you). The
animation cycles can be applied to any one of a range of different
characters and there are options for randomly varying the body shapes. It
generates some rudimentary items of clothing (using a very limited set of
macros) and hair (also from a limited set). It even has a pose interpolation
algorithm so you can manually define two poses (or use two of the predefined
poses) and generate an intermediate pose or animation (e.g. a hand wiggling
about).

It's all controlled through POV-Ray SDL macros and variables though, so
you'd need to learn about how it works from the documentation and examples
and I don't have any evidence that anyone has ever managed to do that. Also
I never got round to combining the animation and crowd control options into
a single example scene, so adding animation to a crowd would require a bit
of study.

One potential option is to use POV-Person to auto-generate a crowd of
stationary people standing around in the background (see the examples in the
download and in the documentation) and punctuate with occasional animated
character, plus hand-crafted foreground characters converted from Poser or
another modeller. The disadvantage is , of course, that you'd end up having
to learn something about both techniques.

Regards,
Chris B.