POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Data recovery : Re: Data recovery Server Time
7 Sep 2024 15:23:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Data recovery
From: Darren New
Date: 27 Aug 2008 15:26:53
Message: <48b5aa7d$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Yeah. Well it's not complaining the filesystem is broken, it claims that
> there *is* not filesystem at all. That's what I find so puzzling...

Right. The superblock (i.e., the boot block) holds a table that says
where the file system is, how many blocks are in it, which block the
root directory starts on, and so on. If that got wiped, then no, you
don't have any file system. :)

> No idea how large a flash block is - I'll bet it isn't the same size as
> a filesystem block! ;-)

I imagine it depends.

> You'd think a tiny little capacitor would keep the electronics running
> for enough split seconds to shutdown vaguely cleanly... *shrugs*

Not when you're writing flash. That tends to take a lot of current.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)