POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Data recovery : Re: Data recovery Server Time
7 Sep 2024 15:26:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Data recovery
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 27 Aug 2008 14:58:30
Message: <48b5a3d6$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Invisible wrote:
>> Yeah, but AFAIK you only write to the superblock when you initially
>> format the volume?
>
> Hmmm... On FAT? I'm not sure. There might be a flag there that marks
> whether the drive was dismounted cleanly or not. Or if you screw up the
> root directory, I can see that mucking things up too. If there were just
> a couple of directories, and the first sector of the root directory got
> scrambled because she pulled it out while it was writing, I can see that
> messing things up.

Yeah. Well it's not complaining the filesystem is broken, it claims that
there *is* not filesystem at all. That's what I find so puzzling...

>> I can understand a file or folder being broken, but the entire FS?
>
> FAT usually has two FATs, too, for just such a reason. It's possible she
> got a warning that the first was broken and just ignored it until the
> second got messed up too.
>
> I'm not real sure of the electrical characteristics of a USB stick such
> that it gets the whole chip messed up by being pulled out while writing,
> but I have to believe avoiding that was one of the design goals.

As I understand it, to write to flash RAM, you erase a small block and
then completely re-flash it. If that got interrupted, your whole block
is gone.

No idea how large a flash block is - I'll bet it isn't the same size as
a filesystem block! ;-)

You'd think a tiny little capacitor would keep the electronics running
for enough split seconds to shutdown vaguely cleanly... *shrugs*

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/