POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Data recovery : Re: Data recovery Server Time
7 Sep 2024 15:23:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Data recovery
From: Darren New
Date: 27 Aug 2008 11:49:21
Message: <48b57781$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Yeah, but AFAIK you only write to the superblock when you initially
> format the volume?

Hmmm... On FAT? I'm not sure. There might be a flag there that marks
whether the drive was dismounted cleanly or not. Or if you screw up the
root directory, I can see that mucking things up too. If there were just
a couple of directories, and the first sector of the root directory got
scrambled because she pulled it out while it was writing, I can see that
messing things up.

> I can understand a file or folder being broken, but the entire FS?

FAT usually has two FATs, too, for just such a reason. It's possible she
got a warning that the first was broken and just ignored it until the
second got messed up too.

I'm not real sure of the electrical characteristics of a USB stick such
that it gets the whole chip messed up by being pulled out while writing,
but I have to believe avoiding that was one of the design goals.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)