POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New phone : Re: New phone Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:20:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New phone
From: Darren New
Date: 27 Aug 2008 11:16:57
Message: <48b56fe9$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> Yeah. When 96%+ of the households are already wired for land lines,
>> it's pretty cheap to get a land line connection.
>
> But then how much do you have to pay monthly just to keep the land line
> connection turned on?  Here it's usually between 5 and 20 euros.

It's in dollars here. And if you don't make many calls, it's usually
maybe $2 to $3 per month.  There are special rates for poor people here,
since it's all very regulated.

> other hand, most mobile phone operators will sell you a SIM card for
> some very small amount (usually 10-20 euros) that then only requires
> that you pay for exactly the calls you make, no monthly charges or any
> other costs (apart from buying a handset initially of course).  If you
> don't make many calls, the mobile phone option works out much cheaper.

Here, yes, you can get some $10 prepaid service or some such, and it's
$0.10 to $0.25 per minute for the calls. Assuming you get connectivity
where you need it. I don't remember what the cheapest prepaid
phone-itself costs, but I think it's low tens of dollars, if my vague
memory serves. Of course, the minutes expire if you don't use them fast
enough, so there is some minimum level you have to pay on that too, at
least in the USA.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)