POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Data recovery : Re: Data recovery Server Time
7 Sep 2024 13:24:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Data recovery
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 27 Aug 2008 10:25:19
Message: <48b563cf$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:

> No. But if somebody shouts "FREE STUFF!" and then carefully tricks you
> into having to actually pay money for it... to me, that's very dodgy.
>
> If stuff costs money then fine. But don't claim something is free when
> it isn't. That's deception.

I generally won't buy if the sample version only serves to be an
advertisement for the full version. (IOW, I can't really evaluate if it
will do what I need it to do, sure it tells me I can recover files, but
will it, and is the level of recovery worth the money I'm about to
spend?) Otherwise I go by the recommendation of those whose opinions i
respect. Adobe did it right.. You can get a working version of Photoshop
and play around with it for 30 days, with premiere elements, it was a
bit different. You had a 30 day trial, but any movie you created had an
annoying overlay, which was fine, I could actually see that it fit my
needs.

The most insidious I've found is some games have a 60 minute trial
period. You'll be happily playing the game and Bang! you're kicked out
at 1 hour with a message saying "You can continue playing if you pay up,
NOW."