POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A job opportunity for someone? : Re: A job opportunity for someone? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:22:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A job opportunity for someone?
From: Invisible
Date: 27 Aug 2008 04:18:57
Message: <48b50df1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:

> Exactly, any industry where dealing with numerical models is their core
> business will be crying out for people like you.  Like insurance
> companies too.  From the degree I did (Engineering), the single sector
> that most people went on to work in was finance!  Banks and insurance
> companies don't make any physical products, they make their money by
> simply making clever decisions, which are based on models designed by
> clever people.
>
> As an example, imagine you have the records of millions of people
> (including address, age, etc) and a list of every single insurance claim
> they have ever made.  Now write a program to decide how much each
> person's insurance premium should be to make the maximum profit.  That
> program is absolutely critical to the success or failure of an insurance
> company.  They are not going to get some idiot to just think up some
> numbers that look about right.

The obvious problem with _finance_ is that almost all of it is done in
London. But perhaps I can find something similar in a more acceptable
location...

I think I might send an open letter to Paragon just for giggles. You
know, a while back, I emailed Ryan Giess. (As in, *the* Ryan Giess.)
That was a few years ago now. But yesterday, I got an email from him
saying he's released a software update! Who'd have thought...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/