POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New phone : Re: New phone Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:22:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New phone
From: Invisible
Date: 27 Aug 2008 04:08:05
Message: <48b50b65$1@news.povray.org>
>> Interesting. I was told (I mean, this was a while ago) that if you
>> sign up to an expensive monthly contract, they throw in the handset
>> for free,
>
> Yes, usually, and the handsets you can choose from will be determined by
> the contract.  Obviously if they are only going to get 15 GBP from you
> for 12 months they are not going to offer you a 400 GBP handset for free.

>> but if you buy the handset on its own, it's hundreds of pounds.
>
> For certain handsets, yes, but there have always been cheaper ones.

OK. Well it's only what I've heard - that you *must* sign up to a
contract otherwise the handset you need to access the network is
impossibly expensive. I don't know if that was ever the case or if the
person in question just got their facts wrong...

>> Also, what's with all these "locked" phones? What's all that about?
>
> The phone will only work with a SIM card from a certain network, so you
> can't take out your vodafone SIM card and put in an O2 one.  Usually
> allows you to buy the phone cheaper, as the network it is locked to can
> expect more money from you than if they sold you an unlocked phone.  Of
> course some phones can be unlocked (although this is getting harder and
> harder recently) so you might be able to buy a cheap subsidised phone,
> unlock it, then either use it with another (cheaper) network, or sell
> the handset on ebay ;-)

The phone I purchased is locked to T-Mobile. You also have to buy a

work. But after that, you can put any (T-Mobile) SIM card into the phone.

It's just as well I'm already with T-Mobile, eh?

It does seem like a hell of a song and dance just to get the same
handset at half the price though...

I guess this explains the vast cottage industry of "phone unlocking"...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/