POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A job opportunity for someone? : Re: A job opportunity for someone? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:24:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A job opportunity for someone?
From: scott
Date: 27 Aug 2008 04:03:27
Message: <48b50a4f$1@news.povray.org>
>> I would think that Haskell would be quite suited to some of their
>> problems.
>
> Hmm. Interesting. The careers advisor I was speaking to when Phil posted
> this actually suggested that I look at "financial abstraction" as a
> potential target area. He said that large financial companies often employ
> people for developing complex financial models, and although it's not
> "programming" as such, it involves those kinds of skills.

Exactly, any industry where dealing with numerical models is their core
business will be crying out for people like you.  Like insurance companies
too.  From the degree I did (Engineering), the single sector that most
people went on to work in was finance!  Banks and insurance companies don't
make any physical products, they make their money by simply making clever
decisions, which are based on models designed by clever people.

As an example, imagine you have the records of millions of people (including
address, age, etc) and a list of every single insurance claim they have ever
made.  Now write a program to decide how much each person's insurance
premium should be to make the maximum profit.  That program is absolutely
critical to the success or failure of an insurance company.  They are not
going to get some idiot to just think up some numbers that look about right.