POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Vista Updates... *sigh* : Re: Vista Updates... *sigh* Server Time
10 Oct 2024 01:41:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Vista Updates... *sigh*
From: Darren New
Date: 26 Aug 2008 16:29:20
Message: <48b467a0$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Tim Nikias wrote:
>> Last update (of course) can't be uninstalled,
>
> And you can't use System Restore to go back before the update? That's
> pretty rude.

As an aside, at least in XP, the black screen just before the login
screen is when it mounts all the partitioned devices (i.e., disk drives)
and sets up the swapping and so on. If you can get it into safe mode, I
suggest doing a chkdsk /f (or a chkdsk /f /r) [or whatever Vista calls
it these days], checking that your swap space is set up right, that you
don't have any USB dongles plugged in or CDs in the drives, etc.  (In
the "is it plugged in? is it turned on?" department...)

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)