POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Vista Updates... *sigh* : Vista Updates... *sigh* Server Time
7 Sep 2024 01:23:00 EDT (-0400)
  Vista Updates... *sigh*
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 26 Aug 2008 14:32:11
Message: <48b44c2b@news.povray.org>
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone here might have a clue how to solve the latest
culprit my dad achieved with his laptop.

It's a Samsung with Vista installed. Some might say: See, Vista is the
mistake. But a friend of mine has a laptop with Vista, and even though
it's new design and handling isn't to the liking to some, it's been
running smoothly for her ever since she got it. Heck, my MacBook crashed
more often with it's new Leopard OSX installed than her Laptop!

Anyways, since the last automatic update on 24.8., its acting up. I can
log on (PW and such), but right after that, the screen goes black, I get
a moving cursor, but no more than that. The HD spins and rattles now and
then, but I don't get a desktop.

Once this evening I DID get a desktop (that's how I found the last
update to have taken place on the 24.) and ran an AntiVirus-Scan using
AVG, but didn't find any. My dad was able to shut down AVG, but the
Windows Update (which I had started in case Microsoft created a Hotfix
for their buggy update, if that is indeed the problem) crashed the
Laptop. So now I'm back to a black screen with a mouse I can move, but
nothing to click on.

Safe mode et al yield the same black screen, just with "Safe Mode"
printed in the corners. Still no Taskbar or Desktop Icons...

*sigh*

Regards,
Tim