POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Data recovery : Re: Data recovery Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:22:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Data recovery
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 26 Aug 2008 11:59:39
Message: <48b4286b$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 11:50:23 +0100, Invisible wrote:

> Well, well... It appears one of our employees kept "everything" on a USB
> flash drive. And guess what? Yah, that's right. Now every time she tries
> to use that drive, it says the drive isn't formatted.
>
> I have no idea why a working drive would suddenly do this,

I've read reports that flash storage devices have a limited number of
write cycles before they become bricks.  I had set up one device with a
journaling filesystem and had several people comment that this was a bad
idea because of the limited-use nature of this type of device.

Easy test:  Plug it into another computer and see if you can read it.  If
you can, it's her PC; if you can't, it's the drive.

Jim