POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Data recovery : Re: Data recovery Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:21:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Data recovery
From: Invisible
Date: 26 Aug 2008 11:12:50
Message: <48b41d72$1@news.povray.org>
Tom Austin wrote:
> Invisible wrote:
>>
>> Moderately cute... but very bossy.
>>
>> She's one of these people who has an attitude that she's important or
>> something, and everybody else had better recognise that.
>>
>> I can do better. ;-)
>
> sometimes those scare me
> it's like getting a date with the cutest girl in the class -then finding
> she has a squeaky voice and never shuts up

It's like the one where Brainiac was doing some dubiously scientific
experiment or other that called for a beautiful women.

"THIS... is Gemma. Gemma... is LOVELY."

Hell yeah, she looks hot!

...and THEN she opened her mouth, and suddenly any interest I had in her
completely evapourated. I didn't know a voice could do that... o_O

>> That *is* of course the real question. But in true geek fashion, I'm
>> more intrigued by having an excuse to research the techniques involved
>> in data recovery than actually helping this person.
>
> You are right.
>
> Way back in the day before hard drives I had the opportunity to repair
> an Apple IIe floppy disk where the file table 'catalog' got blown away.
>
> Luckily I had a 'Disk Doctor' that would edit raw sectors so I could
> rebuild it.
>
> The bad thing was that the 'Disk Doctor' was the one that got blown away.
>
> I managed to fix the disk enough to run the main program so I could fix
> the rest of the disk.  Getting the first one back was murder - due to
> the lack of a good sector editor.
>
> All in all I think I managed to recover everything but one or two files
> that I didn't care about.  Back then disks only held 360k so it wasn't
> all that much work.
>

> Good Luck!

Heh. Apparently she's going to get the IT department at the place her
boyfriend works for to try to recover it first. Either she thinks I'm
incompetent, or she's really in a hurry...

Like I said, I don't really care about her plight - she should have kept
multiple copies - I'm more interested in the interlectual challenge of
fixing a broken filesystem. ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/