POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : How to crash povray? : Re: How to crash povray? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:26:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to crash povray?
From: Alain
Date: 26 Aug 2008 10:59:15
Message: <48b41a43$1@news.povray.org>
gregjohn nous illumina en ce 2008-08-25 22:28 -->
> Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
>
>> When randomly exploring a fractal, it's very hard to detect
>> if a given "location" is interesting before you actualy
>> render that location. Your test may flag a marvalous
>> location as uninteresting and skip it, and then render 100 of
>> extremely boring ones accidentaly flaged as "interesting"...
>>

> No, with eval_pigment, one may compare the colors of two close-by points in
> fractal space.  If they are identical, then there's a good chance you're out in
> a field of blanket color.  I had a pretty good run of looking at fields where
> the colors were dissimilar. Not all worthy of uploading to zazzle, but
> certainly interesting.    I think the most interesting test (but biggest
> longshot as far as remote odds) would be to look for a black spot and a
> non-black spot in the same field.

You'll need to sample 100's of pairs to be sure. If you sample only 2 locations,
you may well miss a very interesting image. Two close-by points can be
identical, and be just next to some very busy area, or just apen to lie
parallel, or almost, to the local gradient.
You need a bare minimum of 3 points in a triangle.

--
Alain
You know you've been raytracing too long when you look at real clouds and