POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New phone : Re: New phone Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:21:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New phone
From: scott
Date: 26 Aug 2008 09:42:15
Message: <48b40837@news.povray.org>
> Heh. I wonder - do they deliberately design phones to break after a while?

Not as such, but all the testing is designing to simulate 2 years "in the
wild".  Hence the phones are designed to pass these tests and nothing more
(although in practise it's always a bit/a lot more).  For instance we have
to ensure the brightness of our displays remains above a certain limit after
what Nokia have decided is 2 years use.  After that they don't care what
happens.

They didn't use to either, my first phone was a Motorola brick for 80 GBP,
and my second was a Nokia 3310 for around the same price.  Of course if you
want the latest all singing all dancing phone, it does, and always has, cost
a lot more.  There have always been cheap ones available though.