POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Something file systems need : Re: Something file systems need Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:23:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Something file systems need
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 25 Aug 2008 15:54:38
Message: <48b30dfe$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 11:44:47 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> All the backup utilities did (and do) pay attention to it. But the flag
> automatically gets turned on whenever you open a file for writing, so
> its use is primarily for differential backups. You do a full backup and
> while doing so turn off the bit, then later you can back up just the
> files with the bit set.

Oh, right, I forgot about that bit with it getting reset when a file is
opened for writing.

> It would only skip files you didn't want *incrementally* backed up.  A
> full backup would still copy the file, and there's no semantics (in UNIX
> or Windows file systems at least) for "this is a temp file" sort of
> thing, so don't ever back it up, or at least throw it away if you need
> the room.

Well, arguably, there is - you put it in /tmp - most programs do that.
Then you just exclude the directory from your backups.

> That must have been a while ago. All the MS file systems I've ever
> looked at had heritable privileges. (Given they had privileges to start
> with, of course.) I'm not real sure where AD comes into it.

Demonstration I saw showed it pegging the CPU at 100% for nearly 40
minutes because the rights were stamped on each object.  Come to think,
it wasn't the filesystem - it had to do with assigning rights in AD
itself, not to the filesystem.  It's been a few years.

Jim