POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Something file systems need : Re: Something file systems need Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:23:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Something file systems need
From: Darren New
Date: 25 Aug 2008 14:25:46
Message: <48b2f92a$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> Well, from a FAT standpoint, I doubt anyone can say the archive bit is
> "bolted on the side".

True. On the other hand, the original FAT file system had the semantics
of the CP/M file system. But yes, by the time it got to the point where
you actually did backups and had temp files you left hanging around, the
archive bit was pretty well established. That MS's own programs didn't
mark things as "don't archive this" (and that it really isn't a "don't
backup" bit but more a "don't incrementally back up" bit) didn't help.

> Maybe what needs to happen is for programmers to use what's there rather
> than invent something else for them to ignore, though

Pretty much anything that isn't lowest-common-denominator is going to
get ignored by the majority, I expect.  That's why it would be nice if
the bit actually got by-default inherited by files inside directories
with the bit set. Then you could set that bit on (say) /tmp and be done
with it.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)