POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Strange GPU : Re: Strange GPU Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:24:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Strange GPU
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 25 Aug 2008 13:15:28
Message: <48b2e8b0@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> Next time I play TF2, I must remember to open the monitor *first*. ;-)
>
> Can't you play TF2 in windowed mode?  Or download some game demo that
> can be played in windowed mode.

I guess I could - but it would be very hard to play it and enjoy it.

FWIW, last time I played, I did remember to start up the monitor. I've

Which sounds pretty damned hot to me, but hey...

>> I wonder why it gets so much hotter running a real game (which is
>> optimised to run smoothly) than running a stress test (which is
>> designed to use up as much GPU resources as possible)...
>
> I guess the stress test wasn't written very well, or without the
> knowledge of your particular card.

Given that it's an nVidia GPU running a stress test written by nVidia,
you'd think so. ;-)

> BTW what is the CPU load during the stress test and TF2?  Maybe that is
> affecting the GPU temperatures?

AMD Athlon64 X2 4200+ socket 939.

(When I built the system, everybody said that socket 939 was going to be
the future. Now it appears that actually it's AM2... oh well!)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/