POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Colour consoles : Re: Colour consoles Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:24:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Colour consoles
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 21 Aug 2008 13:55:17
Message: <48adac05@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:

> A very stupid default, IMHO. I changed that long ago.

Incredibly. I hate getting on someone's system and finding that I can't
read the extensions. I know the rationale behind it, but in practice
with Windows the extension is part of the file name. On other (Mac)
systems, the file has a separate fork that has metadata about the file,
files can't share the same name,so you don't get two files that are
practically indistinguishable from each other.

>> If you are looking at the icon listing (rather
>> than the detailed listing) there's absolutely no way to visually
>> distinguish which file is which.
>
> I have mine default to details. Occasioanlly I change it to thumbnail.
> (Possibly the *only* genuinely useful feature M$ has ever come up with.
> I wonder which competitor they stole it from?)

ACDSee? ThumbsPlus?  hmmm...