POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Widor's toccata : Re: Widor's toccata Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:21:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Widor's toccata
From: Invisible
Date: 20 Aug 2008 04:01:26
Message: <48abcf56@news.povray.org>
>> Also... I mean, Mr Bach's Toccata & Fugue is pretty damned hard,
>
> It all depends on what you measure it's difficulty relative to.  I'd say
> that it's actually one of the easier classical organ pieces (though I'm
> not very familiar with what the standard organ repertoire would be).
>
> This is not to diminish the effort you spent learning it of course, it's
> certainly challenging enough to present a challenge to people without
> serious training in the instrument.  (as a note, it's also at about the
> limit of my meager piano skills).

Well, Bach's Toccata & Fugue contains rapid melodies and dizzying
harmonies and counterpoint. And it seems to hop from key to key at whim.
Whoever wrote this thing was either a genius, or insane. (Possibly both,
thinking about it...)

Widor's Toccata involves big block chords, wide intervals, a hyperactive
stream of 32nd notes, and awkward rythems. I doubt I'll ever be able to
play it as an actual toccata. It's too complicated! o_O

> I assume you're talking about the toccata from his Symphony No.5 for
> organ?

Hell yeah. ;-)

> The third staff would be for the foot pedals -- almost all organ
> music will have three staves.

Ooo... Well, obviously, my synthezier doesn't have those. (Which is
precisely why it fits inside my bedroom BTW.)

> If your version of Bach's Toccata and
> Fugue didn't, it was probably a piano reduction of the original 3-staff
> organ score.

That would explain a few things. For example, the Widor score I have
mumbles something about which organ stops to use at the beginning. The
score I have for Bach says no such thing.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/